Homemade Dog Food from Fresh to Freezer
I mix this homemade recipe with Fromm’s Small Dog dry kibble for my Chihuahua; I make about a two-week supply by freezing the mixed ingredients in ice cube trays. If you have a large dog or a picky eater, a little bit of fresh food mixed with dry is a real treat, not to mention healthy.
What You’ll Need
- 2 Large Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 6oz. Frozen Peas & Carrots (Usually found in 12 ounce bags)
- Cooked White Rice (optional)
- A Blender
- Boil two large chicken breasts on medium-low heat for 45 minutes or until inside has no pink.
- Remove from pot and chop into chunks to prepare for blender. Set aside to cool.
- Using a measuring cup, scoop about a cup of broth from the cooking pot & set aside.
- Use the broth from the chicken breast to boil 6 ounces of peas & carrots for 10 minutes.
While the peas & carrots are cooking…
- Put chicken in the blender with 1/2 cup broth.
- Use the chop setting just long enough to get the desired consistency.
- Remove from blender and place in a medium size bowl. Set Aside.
- Drain peas and carrots and put in blender.
- Add warm cooked rice to the blender (optional)
- Add a little broth and use the chop setting until desired consistency.
- Remove from blender & add veggies & rice mixture to chicken breast; mix well.
Note: You can use whatever setting you want on your blender, and add more or less broth to achieve the consistency you want.
Next… Keep it Fresh in the Freezer
Fresh chicken and veggies don’t last long in the refrigerator, so I fill silicone ice cube trays with covers and freeze the chicken veggies & rice mixture. Silicone ice cube trays are available on Amazon in all different sizes; for this recipe, I used the small trays; you can find them HERE.
Use a spoon and pack the tray compartments full, then drag a butter knife across the top to remove the overflow. There’s always a little extra leftover; put that in the refrigerator and feed within a few days.
After the trays are frozen remove the cubes and put them in freezer bags. For meals, I just microwave a cube to thaw and mix it in dry kibble.
How Do I Feed my Little 4.9lb Chihuahua?
One chicken, veggie & rice cube with a heaping tablespoon of Fromm’s Small Breed dry twice daily. I feed the same dry dog food for snacks in the afternoon and before bed.
It’s your decision to ask your veterinarian if this recipe is right for your dog.